In March, the active ETF market in the US celebrated its 12th anniversary. The response from many at the time of its launch was ‘why do we need it’. Fast forward 12 years, and the active ETF market is set to take off in the US, and already stands at 23% of assets in Canada. As of end of June 2020, global assets in the active ETF and ETP market reached $183 billion according to data from ETFGI.
While passive ETFs still dominate the market the active ETF market has had success in Canada, and now the pick-up of semi-transparent, actively managed ETFs in the US could further transform the market.
Global Custodian and our sponsors, BNY Mellon and RBC I&TS, along with a panel of industry experts will explore this trend and where the active ETF market is likely heading.
Thursday August 13, 2020, starting at 3:00 PM BST/10:00 AM ET
- What has been the active ETF experience in Canada and any lessons learnt for the US market?
- What has been the industry reaction to semi-transparent, actively managed ETFs in the US?
- The regulatory context around the growth of active ETF investing
- How will custodians and fund administrators aim to enhance their ETF services for the active market?
- Will we see mutual funds convert into ETFs?
Director, Product and Profitability, Primary Markets (Loans & ETFs), RBC Investor & Treasury Services
Global ETF Segment Head, Asset Servicing, BNY Mellon
Global Head of ETFs and Indexed Strategies, Invesco US
Managing Partner, ETFGI (co-moderator)
Deputy Editor Global Custodian (co-moderator)